I’ve never had a big dog, so forgive my amazement in how he’s grown in the last few months but…
My son is getting SO big. Not necessarily like fat big, but extra long, look mama I can reach the counter top in the bathroom long. Convenient when he wants to wake me up for breakfast, not so convenient when I’m brushing my teeth.
As he’s been growing I’ve gotten a ton of questions so I figured I would just answer them all here!
is he a husky or a malamute?
Meilo is 100% Siberian Husky. Although I’m excited for him to get big, he won’t get quite as big as a malamute.
how old is he now?
As of now, my boy has just reached 5 months. We bought him (shown in the pictures at the start of the post) when he was 2 1/2 months. He currently weighs a little over twenty pounds and eats sososo much.
is he destructive? does he misbehave?
No. The most he gets into is stealing a pair of socks or nibbling on a shoelace. He doesn’t dig (we keep him indoors, but some huskies are known to still try), nor bite on the furniture. The worst he does is shed and argue. As rumored, Huskies are VERY vocal, and he fits the bill. Meilo will argue up a storm with you if he really wants something.
was he difficult to train?
Sort of. Male Huskies believe that they’re the Alpha, so it was an interesting time training him to realize that we’re the boss. When he was very young he could be very defiant at times and we have to revisit simple and complex commands often. He’s a sweet boy, but he can definitely catch an attitude and give you the side eye real quick. Sometimes when we brought him home he’d act like he doesn’t hear you haha. He’s not like other dogs were you can walk him off leash. We’ve tried it a few times short distances, but Huskies are super independent and are known to run off since they’re so active. Meilo likes to chase blowing leaves and butterflies.
what’s he like with other people?
Depends. With us, he’s calm 90% of the time (which after talking to a few other Husky owners and vets that abnormal) and the other 10% he’s running around in circles, chewing water bottles, or play fighting with Reko. He can be very active but gets sleepy easily since he’s a puppy. Meilo gets offended if we’re on a walk and he sees a stranger that won’t pet him, it’s hilarious. He’ll do his normal “yelling” and try to show how cute he is. Super social – he cries when other dogs won’t play with him.
With people that come over, Meilo can pretty much gauge if the person likes dogs or not. Like my mom or my line sister aren’t super comfortable around larger dogs so he makes slow movements and sits underneath them with his ears down. Whereas some of Reko’s friends or his brother, who has a dog of his own, Meilo will play fight with them like he does us (lots of jumping and biting since he’s teething). Overall though, he’s very sweet, loyal, and a generally happy pup.
There ya have it. I’ll do another update when he gets bigger than his current 20-pound self. Leave a comment or a question below, I’ll be happy to answer it!